A step-by-step guide to buying and selling XLM in the United Kingdom
Are you considering diversifying your portfolio some more with Stellar Lumens?
You can buy and sell Stellar Lumens (XLM) in the UK on a variety of exchanges these days and it’s become so simple. Continue reading for step-by-step information on how to buy one of the world’s leading altcoins.
What's in This Guide?
- Quick Guide: How To Buy Stellar XLM In The UK
- Where To Buy Stellar Lumens (XLM) In The UK
- How To Buy Stellar Lumens (XLM): A Step-by-Step Guide
- How To Sell Stellar Lumens (XLM)
- Which Wallets Are Best To Hold Stellar Lumens (XLM)?
- How Does Stellar Lumens (XLM) Function?
- What To Consider Before Buying Stellar Lumens (XLM)?
- Key Points
Quick Guide: How To Buy Stellar XLM In The UK
- Open an account with a UK cryptocurrency exchange or broker
- Verify your account
- Deposit Funds
- Go to the platform list and select XLM
- Enter how many XLM coins you want to buy
- Confirm your order
Where To Buy Stellar Lumens (XLM) In The UK
Are you searching for how to buy Stellar XLM in the UK? Well, there are hundreds of crypto exchanges and brokers in the UK. This can make it hard to know which platform is right for you.
List of the best Exchanges to buy Stellar XLM in the UK:
Looking where to buy XLM in the UK right now? Below you will find 4 of the best brokers that allow you to buy XLM in the UK.
- eToro - Best broker to buy XLM in the UK
- Binance - Best exchange to buy Stellar XLM in the UK for asset diversity
- Coinbase - Best exchange to buy XLM for beginners
- OKEx - Best broker to buy XLM UK for low-cost
How To Buy Stellar Lumens (XLM): A Step-by-Step Guide
When it comes to buying Stellar Lumens, you have the two following options:
- Using fiat money to purchase XLM, such as GBP
- Using another cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin (BTC) or Ripple (XRP)
Using Fiat Money to Buy XLM
Here’s how you can purchase XLM with fiat money such as GBP.
Step 1: Open an account with a cryptocurrency exchange
Before settling on the best forum for your needs, compare the functionality of a variety of exchanges that list XLM.
eToro, as one of the most reputable platforms in the world, gives you the opportunity to buy XLM in the UK.
To create an account on eToro you can start by clicking “Join Now” on the eToro homepage. Then you will need to fill the form with information such as your name, last name, email address, password and phone number.
If you want to speed up the process you can just log in via Facebook or Gmail since eToro offers them as additional options. Then you will be asked to verify your account in which case you need to upload proof of identity (POI) and proof of address (POA).
Step 2: Place a deposit into your account
After you’ve finished filling out your profile, you can finance your account. To do that click on “Deposit Funds” which is marked in blue on the lower left side. Keep in mind that eToro only accepts $200 as a minimum deposit (or equivalent in other currencies). eToro also now provides various deposit options including PayPal, Credit/Debit card, and UnionPay.
Step 3: Buy XLM
To buy Stellar Lumens on eToro, click on the search bar and choose “Crypto” from the “Trade Markets” portion of the navigation bar. A list of all the cryptocurrencies available on eToro will be shown here. In this case, we’ll be buying Stellar Lumens (XLM).
After pressing “Buy,” you’ll have the option to fine-tune the trade’s parameters. You can pick between “Trade” and “Order” in the top right corner. If you want “Trade,” you’ll be placing a market order (settling at the best available deal). You’ll decide the price you want to buy if “Order” is picked.
Once you’re satisfied with all of the settings, press “Open Trade.”
Don't Miss: Stellar Price Prediction
How To Sell Stellar Lumens (XLM)
If you plan to sell your XLM holdings, you’ll need to pursue a method that’s close to the one outlined in step 3 above. You’ll need to:
- Log into your account.
- Go to “Portfolio” under the “Watchlist.”
- Select “XLM” (Stellar)
- Click the “Sell” button in red.
Which Wallets Are Best To Hold Stellar Lumens (XLM)?
Some people like to keep their XLM in their cryptocurrency exchange account. Although this is a handy solution for ensuring quick access to your cryptocurrency for potential trades, it is also a dangerous step. Since cryptocurrency exchanges often tend to be vulnerable to hackers, it’s highly recommended that you store your XLM in a secure wallet that allows you to keep hold of your private key.
eToro offers a unique and friendly wallet to hold XLM — eToroX. There have been cases where various wallets and exchanges have been hacked causing losses to investors, but a wallet like eToroX is safe. Security is one of the things that eToro is known for.
How Does Stellar Lumens (XLM) Function?
Stellar was established in 2014 with the aim of providing convenient and inexpensive cross-border transactions. The Stellar network adds transfers to a shared public ledger. The “Stellar Consensus Protocol,” which is based on the Federated Byzantine Agreement (FBA), is used by Stellar.
To move money via the Stellar network, you must first establish an account, then upload the currency you wish to send to an “anchor,” such as a bank or a remittance firm. The anchor then credits your Stellar account with virtual credit, enabling you to submit near-instant transactions all over the world.
Lumens, according to Stellar, have two primary functions in the network:
- Multi-currency transfers are made easier. Lumens serve as a bridge between fiat currencies that do not have a strong direct market, facilitating transactions between them.
- Spam prevention. Each transaction on Stellar incurs a charge of 0.00001 XLM to avoid denial-of-service attacks. 0.5 Lumens are withdrawn from both Stellar accounts, which is intended to clean up the ledger.
The Stellar Development Foundation (also known as stellar.org) is behind the initiative, and its goal is to encourage global financial access, literacy, and inclusion.
Read Also: Is Stellar Lumens (XLM) A Good Buy?
What To Consider Before Buying Stellar Lumens (XLM)?
Cryptocurrencies are known to be volatile and complex assets, so every crypto investment comes with a considerable amount of risk. With this in mind, you’ll want to consider all of the variables that might affect the price of a currency before making a purchase.
If you plan on buying XLM, have the following points in mind:
- Inflation is a term used to describe the increase in the price. Lumens is created with a production level of 100 billion, but the currency is planned to be inflationary. Both transaction costs charged on the network are recycled, and there is a set growth rate of 1% each year.
- Stellar’s most well-known collaboration was with software giant IBM. Other partnerships include SatoshiPay, Deloitte, Stripe, and Wanxiang Group. The rest of their partnerships are listed on their company website.
- Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs). New crypto ventures aiming to launch initial coin offerings will also use the Stellar network. Mobius Network and SureRemit are only two of the Stellar-based ventures that have begun.
- Competition is a good thing. Ripple is commonly thought to be Stellar’s largest blockchain-based rival, so take a look at some analyses to see how they compare.
- The distribution of XLM should also be noted. The initial supply of 100 billion XLM will be distributed as follows:
- Individuals who sign up for the network via an invitation connect will receive 50% of the prize pool.
- Businesses, states, institutions, and non-profit organizations that contribute to the development and implementation of the Stellar network will receive 25% of the total.
- During a giveaway in 2016, 20% was donated to Bitcoin and XRP holders.
- 5% is set aside for Stellar.org’s maintenance costs.
- At the time of writing, the circulating supply of Lumens was 24.89B XLM out of a total supply of 50,001,802,216 XLM according to CoinMarketCap.
In the months and years ahead, Stellar’s biggest problem will be determining whether or not it will reach universal acceptance. Make sure you understand everything there is to know about the Stellar network, its infrastructure, and its intent before deciding whether or not to buy any XLM.
eToro – Best Platform To Buy Stellar XLM In The UK
eToro have proven themselves trustworthy within the crypto industry over many years – we recommend you try them out.
Virtual currencies are highly volatile. Your capital is at risk.
- When it comes to buying Stellar Lumens, there are two following options: using fiat money to purchase XLM, such as GBP and using another cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin (BTC) or Ripple (XRP).
- There are three steps to buying XLM using fiat money: open an account with a cryptocurrency exchange such as eToro, place a deposit into your account and buy XLM.
- There are four steps to sell XLM on eToro: log into your eToro account, go to “Portfolio” under the “Watchlist,” select “XLM” (Stellar), click the “Sell” button in red.
- eToro offers a unique and friendly wallet to hold XLM — eToroX.
- Stellar was established in 2014 with the aim of providing convenient and inexpensive cross-border transactions.
- Lumens have two primary functions: multi-currency transfers are made easier and spam prevention.
- Stellar’s most well-known collaboration was with software giant IBM.
What can I buy with Stellar Lumens (XLM)?
Lumens may be used to transfer money to citizens in other countries or as a bridge currency for Stellar network tokens. Any other Stellar token that an account owns requires a small stake of lumens.
Why would banks use Stellar?
They will pay much lower rates in bank-to-bank trades and be able to pass funds around in 2 to 5 seconds.
How does Stellar Consensus Protocol work?
The Stellar Consensus Protocol employs federated voting to ensure security and iterators. In a nutshell, the concept is to perform multiple federated votes on multiple values through all of SCP’s voting stages.
What is a Stellar memo?
Each Stellar-based cryptocurrency account is given a memo, which is a unique nine-digit number. A memo is a form of destination tag. Customers must use the XLM memo associated with their XLM wallet to upload the tokens to their exchange account.