This is a comprehensive guide on how to buy Hertz stock in 2023. It provides you with a step-by-step guide to buying shares on a regulated stock brokerage. It then breaks this process down and covers each step in detail.
By the end of this guide, you will have learnt about the best Hertz shares brokers in 2023 and what to look for when searching for the best stock broker. You will also have learnt everything you need to know before investing in Hertz.
More importantly, you will have learnt the different factors affecting HTZ stock price and decided whether Hertz is worth investing in today.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply.
Below, we break down this buying process and tell you everything you need to know before buying Hertz shares.
The Hertz (HTZ) Stock Buying Guide - Reviewed
Step 1: Decide Where To Buy Hertz (HTZ) Stock
The first step to investing in Hertz or any other company is identifying a company that lists the company’s shares. But for a stock as popular as HTZ, which has been listed with hundreds of highly reputable brokerages, finding the best Hertz broker can be quite overwhelming.
To help you identify the best Hertz shares broker that works for you, we advise that you consider these factors:
- Pricing: Compare the cost of trading on most brokerages and only register with the most affordable. In this case, you will want to compare the trading and non-trading fees levied by the different brokers and assess the impact these have on your trades and only register with the broker with the most competitive fees.
- Account minimums: Different brokers maintain varied deposit and trading minimums. They also support different payment methods. Compare these and only register with a regulated broker whose minimums you can afford and who supports your preferred payment option.
- Security: The ideal broker should put in place adequate measures to guarantee the safety and security of your personal data and funds. They, for instance, should have adequate controls around access and sharing of client data and insure client deposits with the likes of FDIC and FSCS.
- Regulation and reputation: We advise that you only register a trader account with a highly regulated broker. They should also have a solid reputation for reliability, efficiency, and customer experience.
- Access to tools: The ideal shares broker should also give you access to all the necessary trading tools and resources. These range from educational resources for novice traders and premium trading tools for expert traders.
Below, we discuss what our analysts consider the best Hertz shares brokers in 2023.
eToro – Best for User Friendliness and Social/Copy trading
eToro is one of the most popular stock trading platforms – currently used by more than 25 million investors across the world. It is also a multi-regulated and highly reputable trading platform, popular for its stellar support services. But a lot more factors help it feature on our list of the best Hertz shares brokers. These include its affordability, highly innovative trading platform, and copy/social trading elements.
For starters, eToro runs one of the most user-friendly trading platforms. This starts with a smooth and straightforward client onboarding service before extending to a highly navigable interface. This registration process takes minutes, and the broker will only ask for basic personal information.
The trading platform is highly navigable and maintains some of the fastest order processing speeds. It also integrates a wide range of highly advanced educational, trading, analysis, research, and risk management tools.
These include a free demo account with $10,000 in virtual funds, customizable charting tools, premium analytical tools, hard stop, and negative balance protection. eToro is also a multi-trader platform – available on proprietary web traders and mobile app trading platforms.
Note that eToro is a commission-free broker, which means that you only pay competitive spreads when buying Hertz shares on the platform. And since it supports margin trading, you may also incur equally competitive swap fees for margined trades that remain open overnight – with leverage for share trading capped at 1:5 in most jurisdictions.
To start buying Hertz shares on eToro, you will need to deposit at least $10. This can be made via one of the many payment methods supported by the broker. And eToro doesn’t charge a deposit processing fee. The broker, however, maintains a withdrawal processing fee of $5, and the minimum you can draw from eToro is $30.
But eToro tops our options for the best Hertz shares broker primarily because of its social and copy trading features. Social trading allows for seamless interactions between all eToro platform users. Copy trading, on the other hand, makes it possible for both beginner and expert share investors to earn passively.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply.
Capital.com – Best CFD Brokerage for Active Traders
Capital.com is a pure CFD trading platform and one of the most popular brokerages among active traders. It features among the best Hertz shares brokers because of its innovative trading platform, affordability, and customer service.
It is also regulated by multiple tier-1 agencies, including FCA and ASIC, and is a multi-asset trader. In addition to trading HTZ share CFDs on the platform, you can also trade 5000+ other financial instruments for commodities, ETFs, Indices, and currencies.
The broker was among the earliest of the tier-1 online trading platforms to embrace artificial intelligence (AI). Today, this tool has helped Capital.com attract active traders because of its impressive post-trade behavior analysis report that helps traders eliminate bias.
In addition to the AI tool, Capital.com has integrated a wide range of premium trading, analysis, research, and risk management tools. These include 75+ highly advanced analytical tools.
In addition to its range of integrated tools, Capital.com also tops the list of the best places to buy Hertz shares because it supports third-party trading platforms. These include TradingView and MT4 and complement the broker’s proprietary web and mobile app. Some, like the MT4, help it appeal to active traders because they introduce them to an even wider range of premium trade and analysis tools – including automated traders and mirror trading.
Capital.com is also quite affordable, as it charges no commission for share CFD trades. You will only have to contend with a highly competitive and variable spread. You may also have to pay a variable swap fee if your leveraged trades remain open overnight. And to start trading HTZ shares on this platform, you will only need to deposit a minimum of $20 into this trading account.
Step 2: Research Hertz (HTZ) Stock
You now know where to buy HTZ stock. But before you begin accumulating the car rental company shares, you need to learn as much about the company as possible. And in this section, we will tell you everything you need to know about the company.
We will give you how it works, how it makes money, and examine the historical price performance of HTZ shares. We will also tell you factors that will influence Hertz’s stock price in 2023 and beyond. These price triggers should help inform your buy, sell, or hold decisions.
What is Hertz?
The Hertz Corporation is a century-old car rental company headquartered in Estero, Florida. It was founded by Walter L. Jacobs in 1918 and first named Rent-A-Car Inc., with its first offices in Illinois, Chicago. Over the last century, the company has been acquired by and renamed multiple times by different companies and enterprises. It, however, borrows its name from John D. Hertz, who named it The Hertz Corporation after re-acquiring it from General Motors in 1953.
Today, Hertz is one of the three largest car rental companies in the world. By 2020, it controlled close to 30% of the global car rental market share, managed a fleet of 400,000+ vehicles, and extended its operations to 160+ countries across North and South America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, and Africa.
Hertz is also one of the largest car rental companies by fleet size, annual sales, and location. On its journey here, Hertz has acquired multiple car rental brands across the world that it continues to operate. The three most popular are Firefly Car Rental, Dollar Rent-A-Car, and Thrifty Car Rental.
Hertz has three primary sources of revenue. First is the sales from actual car rentals. Second is the income from such contract add-ons as insurance and premium roadside services. It also makes money from the disposal of its used rental cars. And for the longest time, Hertz was a fairly profitable brand, with its total annual income ranging between $7 Billion and excess of $9 Billion in the years leading to 2019.
But as soon as the Covid-19 pandemic hit in 2020 and the world entered into lockdown, Hertz revenues tanked. Its annual total revenue dipped from $9.8 Billion in 2019 to about $5.3 Billion in 2020. Its net income also dropped from a loss of just $58 million in 2019 to a $1.7 Billion loss in 2020. For the first time in a long while, Hertz was unable to pay the lease for its fleet of cars forcing the century-old car rental company to file for bankruptcy.
Under new management, the company’s fortunes have since turned around. In 2021, for example, its annual revenue increased by 40% to $7.4 Billion, while the revenue for the 12 months leading to September 2022 increased by 30% year-over-year to surpass $8.6 Billion. Its net income has also recovered, declining from a $1.7 Billion loss in 2020 to less than $84 Million in 2021 and a $1.26 Billion profit for the 12 months leading to September 2022.
Hertz Historical Price Performance
Hertz shares were first sold to the public and listed with the New York Stock Exchange in 1954 after Hertz re-acquired the company from GM.
On 22nd May 2020, the company filed for bankruptcy and was placed under new management. Despite the bankruptcy filing, however, the Hertz share price continued rallying and was at one point selling more than 1000% above the bankruptcy filing price levels.
Less than three weeks after filing for bankruptcy, Hertz announced intent to raise $1 Billion from the public through the sale of shares with a disclaimer that the “common stock could ultimately be worthless.” They even sold more than $29 Million worth of shares before the SEC stepped in and halted further sales and trading of Hertz shares. In October same year, the stock was delisted from the NYSE.
In July 2021, reports emerged that Hertz had recovered from bankruptcy and entered into deals with the majority of its creditors. This saw it listed again – with NASDAQ – under the ticker HTZ. During the Re-IPO, 44.5 million HTZ shares were sold for $29, effectively giving the car rental company a market valuation of $13. Billion. On its first day of sale, though, HTZ shared dropped 6% to end the day - trading around $26.
The listing coincided with the peak of the pandemic bull market and the beginning of the bear market that ravaged the global stock markets throughout 2022. Slightly after a year after its IPO, it has lost more than 40% of this listing price.
Factors Affecting Hertz Share Price
Before you can start buying Hertz shares, you will want to first understand all the factors that affect Hertz’s stock price. In this section, we discuss some of the factors that we believe will have the greatest influence on HTZ share price in 2023 and beyond:
- Company finances: As is the case with any other company, improved annual revenues and net incomes will help push up its share price. Therefore, if Hertz car rental sales continue rallying and its operating costs are down, the resulting positive net income will most probably help push up the HTZ share price.
- Macroeconomics: The car rental business is very sensitive to changing macroeconomics. A recession, especially if it is accompanied by significant job losses and a rising cost of living, would hurt its sales volumes and HTZ stock price. You may also expect a recession to crash the market – including HTZ share price.
- Investor speculation: Since 2020, Hertz has been undergoing a lot of changes – both at the management and business strategy levels. Speculation is, therefore, rife about the potential of these approaches to business and management and will continue influencing HTZ stock price in the short to medium future.
- Changing business strategy: Hertz is changing its business model and embracing technology, especially modernizing its fleet with electric cars. Its order for 10,000 Teslas, for example, helped inspire a mini-rally, and similar deals in the future are expected to elicit a similar reaction from the market.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply.
Step 3: Open A Share Investor Account And Buy Hertz (HTZ) Stock
Want to start buying Hertz shares immediately? We recommend that you follow this beginner’s guide that teaches you how to acquire your first HTZ stock from the all-popular and highly reputable eToro trading platform.
Open a stock broker account
On your browser, open the official eToro website or download the eToro mobile trading app from the app store. Click the ‘Join Now’ button on either platform and complete the registration form that pops up. This only captures your basic information. You will also want to choose a unique username and set a strong password for this account.
Verify your identity
eToro, like all other regulated online trading platforms, are required by law to subject all its clients to KYC checks. The broker will, therefore, demand that you submit a copy of a government-issued identification document like a passport, driver’s license, or national ID.
Log in to the approved trader account and tap the ‘Deposit Funds’ icon. From the trading tab that pops up, choose one payment option and follow the prompts to fund your account with at least $10.
Buy Hertz stock
After the funds reflect in your trader account, hit the ‘Discover’ button and from the broker-supported assets, choose ‘Stocks.’ Search for Hertz shares here and tap the ‘BUY’ option. Customize the investment using the trading tab that pops up here by indicating the number of HTZ shares you wish to buy. Hit the ‘Open Trade’ button to execute the investment.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply.
Hertz (HTZ) Stock Strengths And Weaknesses
But is Hertz even worth buying in 2023? Now that you know where to buy Hertz and the stock’s buy process, this is the question you must ask yourself before you start accumulating the car rental company shares.
To help you decide whether HTZ shares are worth buying today, we have identified a few reasons to invest in the multinational car rental company. But we will also point out a few reasons why today may not be the best time to invest in Hertz.
Reasons to Buy Hertz Stock in 2023
- Recovering company growth: Hertz is on a path to recovery. It has worked out reasonable deals with its major creditors to avert bankruptcy, its sales figures are up again, its annual revenues and net incomes are on an uptrend, and the pandemic that threatened to crash it is almost behind us. All these make now the best time to buy HTZ shares – at their current dip.
- New management focus: There is a growing demand for green technology stocks, and Hertz’s adoption of an electric fleet endeared to green investors.
- Positive market outlook: Analysts, both technical and technical experts, are confident that Hertz has a bright future and that HTZ stock price will continue rising in the foreseeable future.
Reasons to Buy Hertz Stock
- Negative publicity: There has been a lot of negative publicity around Hertz company in recent months. The company has, on multiple occasions, been accused of filing stolen vehicle cases erroneously against its clients, which may hurt the company’s sales and stock.
- Looming recession: A recession that is expected to hit the global economy in the next few months will most certainly crash the stock markets – further dipping the HTZ stock price. This means that today may not be the best time to buy the already volatile HTZ stock.
Conclusion - How To Buy Hertz (HTZ) Stock
Hertz is one of the oldest and largest car rental companies in the world. Over the last few years, it has endured financial hardships that saw it file for bankruptcy in mid-2020 and its stock delisted from the NYSE. New management, reasonable agreements with creditors, and a move towards green technology have all aided its recovery.
Since then, the company’s annual revenues and net income have been on a steady uptrend. The majority of analysts are also confident the century-old company can sustain this uptrend and inspire a run for the HTZ shares moving forward.
Are you looking to start buying Hertz shares today? Use the beginner’s guide that we have listed above, teaching you how to buy Hertz shares on eToro.
eToro – Buy Hertz Stock With 0% Commission
Open an account with eToro, deposit some funds with USD, and finally – buy Shares from just $10.
Your capital is at risk. Other fees apply.
FAQs About How To Buy Hertz (HTZ) Stock
How can I buy Hertz stock today?
Start by finding a regulated broker that lists HTZ shares and registers a stock trading account with them. Fund this account, search for Hertz shares and choose to invest in HTZ.
What will Hertz be worth in December 2023?
Hertz is a massively volatile stock operating in a highly uncertain stock market. Such factors as its regularly changing management, changing business approach, and the looming recession makes it impossible for anyone to accurately what HTZ stock will be worth at the end of the year.
Is Hertz worth buying in 2023?
Yes, the analyst consensus for the Hertz stock is a moderate buy.
How much do I need to start investing in Hertz today?
You get to determine how much you can invest in Hertz – or any other company. The minimum will, however, be determined by your preferred broker, i.e., their set trading or deposit minimum.